Are you working with a new client for a hair system application? You'll want their new style to look good AND feel good. So, how do you ensure that your client feels confident and comfortable walking out of your shop or salon?
Every client will have a different skin type and level of sensitivity. A skin patch test is a great way to check for allergies to various substances and ensure the hair replacement products, adhesives, or toupee tapes you use are the best choice for your client.
So, how do you do a proper skin patch test before applying a toupee?
Completing a Skin Patch Test
The process of doing a skin patch is a must, but a super simple procedure! Ready to find the right tape for your client? Follow these quick and easy steps to perform a skin patch test:
- Apply a small piece of tape on your client in a spot where the skin is sensitive and visible such as behind the ear. Prep the area with a solution of at least 99% alcohol before you apply it to clean the skin.
- Cover the tape with a protective bandage to keep it in place as the client goes about their day. The bandage also serves as a barrier to the elements that could change how the skin reacts.
- Allow the tape to sit for at least 24 hours before checking for any signs of an adverse reaction. Some common symptoms of irritation include redness, itchiness, or a burning sensation.
Once you’ve completed the skin patch test, and know how your client reacts, you can begin the application process.
The typical steps to toupee application include:
- Remove any prior residue and clean the scalp using an effective remover.
- Prep the scalp with a product like Sunshine Tape Skin Prep to create a protective and waterproof layer before the adhesive is applied.
- Select the appropriate toupee tape for your client’s base type and desired hold time. Cut the toupee tape to the appropriate length.
- Peel off the backing and apply tape at least one inch behind the hairline for a secure and seamless look.
- Remove the remaining protective paper to expose the double-sided adhesive top. Position the toupee and roll it back across the perimeter of the scalp.
After the toupee is securely in place, blend it with the natural hair by lightly spritzing with water and combing it through. Advise the client not to wash their hair system for at least 24 hours.
Now that you know how to perform a skin patch test before the toupee application, does your salon have the right products to create long-lasting styles?
Get The Best Medical-Grade, Hypoallergenic Application Products from Sunshine Tape
As you can see, it’s important to conduct skin patch tests, especially when a new client comes to your shop or salon. Beyond a skin patch test, however, you’ll want to ensure all products used on your clients are of the highest quality.
When it comes to toupee and wig application products, there’s no better choice for your clients than Sunshine Tape. Our products are all 100% Made in the USA using medical-grade ingredients. Our products are also hypoallergenic, making them even more ideal for your most sensitive-skin clients.
Are you ready to place your order or learn more about our reliable line of products? Check out the rest of our website and contact us today.