It’s a fine line to create the perfect hairline. Attaching a toupee or other hair replacement system takes skill, patience, and practice. The goal is to achieve a natural, long-lasting look. However, without the right adhesive product to start, the hair replacement system won’t stay put for very long.
Toupee tape is one of the strongest and most popular adhesives available. The correct application is crucial for optimal results. Follow these six simple steps to apply the perfect toupee tape every time.
Proper Scalp Preparation
Before beginning, check the scalp area to see if there is any hair where the toupee will be applied. If so, remove/shave it. For a successful application, you must ensure that the scalp is washed, clean, and completely dry. We recommend using our Sunshine Alcohol Remover to accomplish this while also enhancing the security of the bond between the toupee tape and scalp.
Toupee Tape Application
- Prior to the actual tape application, it’s important to use a high-quality product to protect your client’s scalp from potential irritation. The Sunshine Tape Skin Prep provides a perfect protective and waterproof barrier for toupee tape. (Plus, it’s 100% hypoallergenic and made in the U.S.)
- Next, cut the tape to the desired length and size based on your customer’s head. You can use a tape roll or pre-cut toupee tape contours, depending on your preference.
- Peel off the backing and apply the tape along the perimeter in the shape of your client’s hair. Be careful not to touch the adhesive portion. Toupee tape is meant to be invisible, so do not place it directly on the hairline. The ideal spot is usually about one inch behind the natural hairline and temples. This placement will give you a secure and seamless look.
- Remove the remaining protective paper so the double-sided adhesive is exposed on top. Do not allow the toupee hairs to touch this portion.
- Position the hair replacement wig or toupee, and roll it back across the perimeter of the scalp. Confirm there are no wrinkles and the piece is completely secure before moving to the final step.
- Once in place, advise the client not to wash the hair for at least 24 hours. To blend the hair replacement system with the natural hair, apply a light spritz of water and comb it through.
Our Sunshine Toupee Tape products are all designed to be long-lasting, waterproof, and hypoallergenic. We have some of the strongest tapes on the market, which means your clients will leave happy with a hair replacement system that can last up to 8 weeks. Browse our selection, send us a message, or give us a call at 954-458-9790 to find the ideal toupee tape products for your clients.